Going Back to School at 40

I first went to college when I was 18. I decided I would go to the nearby community college, and earn my general education units before moving on to get my B.A. The problem was, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Through my late teens and early twenties, and even into my early 30s I did a lot of waitressing, and a few entry level administrative assistant jobs. At 27, a year after having my first child, I decided I needed to go back to school. I wanted to provide my daughter a better life, and this meant getting a better job and making more money. I thought getting my bachelor's would be a good way to do that. 

 So, I went back, and I did it. I got my bachelor's after two years. I majored in business management, and finished at the age of 29. Over the years, I continued to waitress, until I got a job working as a receptionist at a hospice. I was so excited. I felt like working for a hospice would be life-changing because, after all, I had had family members who went on hospice, and I knew what important work it was. I ended up working as a receptionist there for two years, and then moved into medical records. I know this sounds weird, but meetings, emails, I was excited to feel like part of a company that was doing something good out in the community, and I had the satisfaction of knowing that I had a good job. The only downside to it was that it wasn't giving me the kind of satisfaction I had hoped for, and it definitely wasn't providing the kind of life I wanted for my now two kids. 

 After working at the hospice for years, I started to zero in on a career I had never thought about before-social work. I would watch as these social workers would go out into the community, help patients, counsel them, provide resources, educate. They had a job that was everything I'd ever wanted all rolled into one. At 40 years old, I decided to take the leap. One of the hospice social workers I worked with for a few years had a magnet at her desk that said, "leap and the net will appear." I decided maybe it was time for me to take a leap of faith. 

 I put it all together, asked a couple friends to write me a letter of recommendation, and then I waited. I had so many worries. "What if I'm too old to go back to school." "I know all the other people in my classes will be much younger than me." "How can I do this and work with two kids?" "How will I pay for this, I can't afford this." There were so many concerns. "What if my student loan debt is so high, it takes away from the amount I make?" 

 These were all valid worries and concerns. I found out I got into the only school I had applied to. I had considered applying somewhere else, closer, or less expensive. I just decided to go for it. It would only take me one year and nine months because I had chosen to do the accelerated program. It was hard, it was challenging. There were days where it literally felt like I had mashed potatoes for brains. I would get fearful thoughts coming into my mind. But I knew that I COULD do it. So I would train my brain to keep coming back to that thought. Things that could wait til the next day, had to wait til the next day. 

 It's now been 9 months since I graduated. I am officially a social worker. I LOVE being a social worker. I couldn't have picked a more wonderful career. Because I got to see up close what the ins and outs of the jobs looked like, I felt prepared for what was in store. For someone like me, who is not a huge risk-taker, this one was so worth it. I don't regret it at all, and it's one of the best decisions I could've made. If I hadn't gone for it, I'd still be sitting around wondering "what if?" But I don't have to do that. It does make me wonder another question though, "what next?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Flags

A Letter to Narcissists

5 Things You MUST DO to Stay on Your Diet and Exercise