Low Standards=Low Quality of Life






I want to talk about something that is very important. How our standards convert to a high quality, or low quality existence in life. Our minds are very powerful things. They are like computers, and whatever we are inputting, they are outputting. We tell our brain something like-”You're stupid!” And it's going to come up with ways to prove that what was put in, will be the output. Our standards are very important, because in this same way, standards are like a consistent input to our brain. Standards are something we may not even give much thought to, until we see that they are in a bad place. What I mean is that a standard is almost an input to the brain on autopilot. If I believe that my living situation standard should be that I have a 2 bedroom apt, then I'm going to work really hard at getting myself a 2 bedroom apt. But if I reach that level, then I can stop focusing on that situation (outcome) and look at something else. What comes to mind for me is how I remember seeing a couple waitress I worked with (a long time ago) driving a brand new Mercedes, BMW, etc. Now, waitresses don't make that much money, so it was unusual to see that unless the person came from a wealthy family. However, two of these women I knew, had set that standard for themselves. That was the standard they had set for what kind of car they should drive. Another example is my best friend. There were times we worked the same job, sometimes not so great jobs. However, she decided that she wanted to live in a luxury apt. There were times where she didn't meet that criteria, but soon enough, she would be back in a luxury apt. Why? Because that was her standard. We don't realize how often we are constantly inputting this standard into our personal computer, and it's giving us the output we have requested. I believe this happens in the same way with people who are “down on their luck.” I believe they have set a standard tied to unworthiness that tells them that is the best they can do, and it becomes a standard for the quality of their life.

Now I don't want to make it sound like standards always have to be owning a luxury car, or living in a luxury apartment. Those are nice things to have, but there are other standards too. Standards of how we should be treated by others, standards of how well we take care of our bodies, standards of religion/spirituality. There are many who are driven by their standards, and many others who are not driven at all because they have such low standards. What I expect, will become my outcome. Not in the way of thinking I'm entitled to something (because that almost always means I expect someone else to just hand it to me), but in the way that I will work really hard to bring into my life that expectation, that standard because that is what I've decided it shall be.

I love this quote from Tony Robbins, because this is exactly what I'm talking about:
“Here's a metaphor: You've set your life's thermostat at 72 degrees. That's representative of your personal comfort zone. Note: it's where you're COMFORTABLE but NOT your ultimate best self. That 72 is where you are content physically, financially, how much intimacy you're comfortable with, how connected you feel to you creator, your partner, your friends, your children. If things begin to drop if you go from a 72 down to a 65, 64, 62...well, something's gonna kick in! Your brain is going to say, “Hey! What am I doing down here at a 62?! I'm more than this!” That's when your engine kicks on and you begin to get going.”
From his Facebook page.

We do what we do for a reason. Sometimes we have set a standard because it's what we grew up with. Other times we set a standard because we want exactly the OPPOSITE of what we grew up with. Sometimes we don't know how good we can have it until we see others living that way. Whatever it is, I challenge you to think of the standards you have set for yourself. Think of the important areas in your life where you may be just barely getting by. Here are some good topics to think of: relationship with God, relationship with children, relationship with significant other and other family members, career goals, home/environment, health & nutrition, and the list goes on. Think about these areas and ask yourself, is this where I want to be? Or is this where I stopped because it felt comfortable? From there you can decide if you truly are happy where you're at, or if there are some areas that need work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Flags

A Letter to Narcissists

5 Things You MUST DO to Stay on Your Diet and Exercise