Attitude IS Everything



Attitude IS Everything

When I was younger, somewhere along the way, I learned to be sad, and have problems. Perhaps it was how I learned to get attention, perhaps it was how I felt love. Perhaps it was that so many in our culture are so sad and/or depressed, and I learned to live that way by what I saw, and what I was surrounded by. Whatever the reason, it wasn't fun to live that way.

Because of my thoughts and ideas about the world, and how it was, people would be rude to me, very rude and sometimes even cruel. I had co-workers tell me, you're so nice, I bet no one is ever rude to you. And I'd say, oh no, I think they're extra rude because I'm nice. But now that I look back, I can see that it wasn't because I was “nice” that people were not very nice to me. It was because of my attitude. I felt bad. I was sad. I was drawing that negativity TO myself without even realizing it.

It wasn't until I got a little older, I went to a conference in my late 20s that totally changed my thinking on this, how to shift my focus etc. But there was still a ways to go. By my early 30s I had landed a job at a hospice, and while it didn't pay a lot, it felt like a dream job. My attitude changed so much with that job. I felt something I wish I could say I felt all the time, but didn't-grateful. After all, I had been a waitress for so many years, taken so much guff from other people, now I was at a hospice. It turned a table for me. I went in, with a big smile on my face, truly happy to see other people. Not like many jobs in the past where I had to always pretend to be happy to see other people. This was different. As I changed my attitude, my world changed. I know in part, that I now was surrounded with people who were kind, compassionate and loving as a by-product of the profession that they had chosen. However, I knew that in part, my attitude was changing my life. I was happy to be at work!

Since this realization, I wish I could say the rest came easily/naturally, but it didn't. I still had one more step to take to make the full transition. I had first learned how to change my focus away from sadness, and not be depressed. I then learned how to surround myself by wonderful people, and feel something I had always longed to feel-grateful. But the third and final shift, is something I am not ashamed to admit is what I'm working on now-how to believe in myself, my goals and my dreams. This is the third part of my attitude change. I am changing. As I write this now, I see my goal of becoming a writer starting to form into something. Attitude really IS everything. I encourage you to look at your attitude. How do you feel about life? About your career? About who you choose to surround yourself with? We can't change the world, but we can change how we feel about the world. Sometimes it's not as easy as just shifting your thinking, it's about shifting where you are, and who you allow into your life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Flags

A Letter to Narcissists

5 Things You MUST DO to Stay on Your Diet and Exercise